C. O. HARDEMAN, present trustee of Chester County, was born in Giles County, Tenn., in 1840; son of Benjamin F. and Ellen (Sanders) HARDEMAN. The father was a native of Middle Tennessee, born in 1815. His educational advantages were very limited, but being a man of great observation and a lover of literature, he, through self study became a well informed man. He was married in Giles County about 1835 and in 1851 removed to Henderson County where be tilled the soil up to the time of his death, which occurred in 1858. He reared a family of ten children — eight sons and two daughters — who are still living. Five of’ his sons were in the Confederate Army all of whom returned without receiving any serious injury. He served as captain in the Mexican war and was a man of considerable influence. The mother was born about 1817 and is still living on the old homestead in Henderson County.
Our subject received his education partly in the common schools and partly by observation and reading. January, 1862, he married Miss Amanda STUBBLEFIELD, a native of Wayne County, Tenn., born in 1835 and the daughter of Thomas and Sallie STUBBLEFIELD, natives of North Carolina and Virginia respectively. They are still living in Henderson County.
To Mr. and Mrs. HARDEMAN were born nine children, six of whom are now living: Thomas B., Jasper G., Sarah Alice, Elizabeth, Cora and C. Maude. Our subject first located near Centre Point where he remained until 1884 engaged in farming; since then he has resided near Henderson and is the owner of 400 acres of land in the vicinity; he also owns land in Henderson County. He held the position of magistrate from 1872 till 1884 when he was elected to the office of trustee of Chester County and re-elected in 1886. He is an ardent and uncompromising Democrat and cast his first presidential vote for Jeff DAVIS in 1861. He is a long-standing and prominent member of the Masonic fraternity and is also a consistent member of the Old School Presbyterian Church. Mrs. HARDEMAN is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
Transcribed by David Donahue