B. T. GREGORY, the photographer of Shelbyville, was born August 17, 1847, in Shelbyville, being one of a family born to the union of Joseph P. Gregory and Elivira Jones, natives, respectively, of Virginia and Alabama. Joseph P. was brought to Bedford County when young by his father, Thomas Gregory. He was a dentist by profession. He practiced his profession in Shelbyville, and thence removed to Stevenson, Ala., which place he named in honor of V. K. Stevenson, a prominent railroad man. He (the father) returned to Shelbyville, where he died in 1881. The mother died at Stevenson, Ala., when our subject was young.
B. T. received a common school education. At the age of twenty-two he started out in life for himself, having learned and practiced dentistry prior to this time. He then learned the photographer’s art, and has ever since been engaged in that art. He permanently located in Shelbyville in 1876, since which time he has done a good business in his line. He was married, December 26, 1881, to Miss Annie Calhoun, daughter of N. J. and Elizabeth Calhoun. Her father was a stone-cutter and marble dealer. One son has been born to this marriage — Benjamin T. Mr. Gregory is a Democrat in politics. He and his wife are members of the Christian Church.
Transcribed by Kathryn Hopkins
Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford & Marshall Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Reminescences [Sic], Observations, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1988.