A. D. Bryant, proprietor of the Quin House, and city marshal of McKenzie, Tenn., was born September 15, 1842, in Carroll County, and is one of six sons and one daughter, surviving members of a family of ten children born to Alfred and Polly (Stone) Bryant, both of whom were of Spartanburg District, South Carolina, where they were raised together in the same vicinity; were schoolmates, and were married in the same district, and he engaged in farming until 1830, then moved to Carroll County, Tenn., locating at Huntingdon in 1859, where they now reside. Alfred Bryant, the father, was at one time tax collector of Carroll County, also sheriff one term before the war, and two terms since the war, and is at present county coroner; he was born in 1809, and his wife in 1810.
Our subject remained with his parents until the commencement of the war, then enlisted in the Twenty-second Tennessee Confederate Infantry, remaining three months; he was then transferred to the Fifty-fifth Infantry, with which he remained until it was consolidated with the Forty-second Regiment, and was then color bearer of the consolidated regiment until December, 1864, when he returned home, and in October, 1866, married Aletha M. Quin; from this marriage were born four daughters and one son; three daughters are still living. He resided in the vicinity of Trezevant, Tenn., for two years after the war and then moved to Huntingdon, and from there to McKenzie in 1884. March, 1884, he was elected to his present office, but soon resigned and moved to Oxford, Miss., but after a few months returned to McKenzie, and was re-elected.
He has recently taken charge of the Quin House, and by the hospitality of himself and wife have gained for the place considerable popularity. Mrs. Bryant’s parents, S. R. and Emily (Harvey) Quin, are both natives of South Carolina, but were married in this State in 1842, and followed farming in Carroll County until 1884, when they moved to Lafayette County, Miss., and engaged in the hotel business; then they returned and are still living in McKenzie. They had four sons and eight daughters; one son and seven daughters are still living. Mr. and Mrs. Quin are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
Transcribed by David Donahue
Source: History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Carroll, Henry and Benton Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1978.