McCutchen Cemetery

Located in yard of house on Highway 47 at junction with Baker’s Works road.  Sign of only two graves.

  • McCUTCHEN, Billy C. – born 1826, died 1887.
  • McCUTCHEN, Sallie – born 1851, died 1870.

Listed 7 October 1967 by Iris H. McClain.


Source: Garrett, Jill K, and Iris H. McClain. Dickson County, Tennessee, Cemetery Records Part II. Columbia, Tenn: s.n., 1970.

Myatt Mausoleum

Located at the rear of Dickson Manufacturing Company, at the parking lot. Remainse were removed here after original burial elsewhere in the county.

  • MYATT, Palastine – wife of J.A. MYATT, born 5 May 1853, died 19 Sept 1883.  “A loving wife, a Mother dear, a faithful friend, lies buried here.”

Recorded July 1967 by Jill K. Garrett.  A small window in door shows that there is one casket here and what appears to be a vault. It is believed that there is only one burial here, however.


Source: Garrett, Jill K, and Iris H. McClain. Dickson County, Tennessee, Cemetery Records Part II. Columbia, Tenn: s.n., 1970.

Black Marriages of Dickson County:1865-1881

Below is the index to the publication by the Works Progress Administration of black marriages in Dickson County from 1865-1881.  This book is held by the Tennessee State Library and Archives. At the end of this index of brides and grooms, is an index of marriage officiating individuals.

Index to Dickson County TN Black Marriages 1865 1881 by tngenweb

If you are unable to see the document embedded in the page, you may view it here.

Socialism Experiment at RUSKIN

SOCIALIST MOVE TO YELLOW CREEK

During the early thirties when my dad was a boy playing in and around Ruskin cave it was common for him and the other boys to find printers type among the rocks and flint arrows they would collect.

The Ruskinites were led by J.A. Wayland in 1894. The community of Dickson had a population of 18,000 people and of them, very few knew much about the writings of Marx, Fourier or RUSKIN. There was suspicion of this group that came in and bought a 1000 acres surrounding the large cave and spring within. Wayland was described by a Marxian historian as “the greatest propagandist of Socialism that has ever lived.” he was born in Indiana in 1854 his father died when he was a toddler and his mother was destitute. At a young age he apprenticed to a publisher. While there he was eager to learn all about printing that was available to him. In time he became an Editor and at the age of 19 he became a partner in a printing business. By the time he was at 39 he was financially comfortable because of his investments in real estate and printing. He became closely tied to the Republican Party during the administration of Rutherford B. Hayes and was rewarded with a Postmastership. However he was happiest when he was writing and editing. His writings often got him in trouble and required him moving often. In Colorado in the 1890s he converted to Socialism. He was completely involved in the Populist campaign of 1892 and published a paper “The Coming Crisis”. Just prior to the Great Depression he wrote the first issue of “The Coming Nation”. This text made him know throughout the country as a “grass roots socialist”. The paper had a subscription of 14,000 within 6 months of the initial publication. Not being well received in Greensburg Indiana Wayland sent a frontman to Dickson county to scout appropriate property for him to move his operations. By July 21, 1894 he announced that the next issue would be published in Tennessee City, Tennessee.

As his assets accumulated his dreams became fired! The times were shakey…fears for the economy was troubling most Americans. Waylands’ dream of a colony began to take form.. he offered anyone that brought him two hundred subscriptions or $200.00 cash and of good moral character you would become a charter member of the colony. The subscription list grew rapidly. When capitalist tried to run an ad in his paper he loudly pronounced he was not interested in enriching himself at the expense of others while so many of his brothers were impoverished and hungry. This fed the colonies interest -the hope for a Utopia…a one of all and all for one mentality.

Originally he purchased property near Tennessee City. He was not pleased with the quality of the land but, because it was not near an industrial center chose to give it a try. During all of this time the presses rolled. He continued to point out the flaws in the capitalistic government that ruled this country. He uses every available tact to gain an edge for his philosophy. As time passed he recommended the reading and study of John Ruskin, the English socialist.

200 Years of Dickson County History

200 YEARS(+/-) in a Nutshell

Before 1783 Dickson County was a part of the “Cumberland country”..that just means an area west of the mountains. In 1783 the county of Davidson was created by an act of the North Carolina legislature, and Dickson County was a part of that subdivision. Three years later the northeastern part of Davidson had grown enough to become a county within itself and the general assembly of North Carolina created Sumner County for it. Two years later in 1788, the legislature carved another division from Davidson, giving it the name of Tennessee County. Clarksville was designated the county seat. This area included all of the territory inside of Dickson, Montgomery, Robertson, Houston as well as parts of Hickman, Humphreys and Stewart. In the following year North Carolina ceded her western lands to the Federal Government, and the Territory South of the Ohio was established to include all of the Tennessee Counties. A territorial government was organized and by 1795. To be admitted to the union as a separate state, a population of 60,000 people had to inhabit the region. The territory legislature authorized a census and the population was found to be 67,000 Whites and over 10,000 Negros.

Because of Middle Tennessee’s fear of East Tennessee’s dominance an election was held to determine whether the people of the entire territory favored immediate admission. Over 2,500 people voted against it. Tennessee County, of which Dickson was a part (with a population of 1,941 voted 231 to 58 against immediate admission. East Tennessee heavily favored immediate admission to statehood. Despite Federalist opposition in the nation’s capital, Tennessee in 1796 became the 16th state of the union. In that year, a constitutional convention was called and was held in Knoxville. Five representatives attended from Tennessee County. During that time, Tennessee county was abolished and the area became Robertson and Montgomery. Dickson remained a part of these local units of government until it was created by state legislature in 1803.

By the time Dickson was formed many settlers were already established in the area. During this time it is known that Montgomery BELL, John NESBITT, Abraham CALDWELL and James Richard NAPIER had settled on BARTON’s Creek; that a Revolutionary soldier named Christopher STRONG along with Molton DICKSON, James MARTIN, Robert HARPER, had settled on JONES Creek; that George TUBBS and William WARD had settled on JOHNSON’s Creek; that Minor BIBB, Edward TIDWELL, John BROWN, Milton JOHNSON, and William and Thomas GENTRY had staked out claims on TURNBULL Creek; and that William HOGINS and Thomas PETTY had established homes on Piney River. During the time of 1800-1810 the population of Tennessee doubled. During this time Dickson was receiving its share of the growth.

During this time many Revolutionary War soldiers received a grant of 640 acres in what is now Dickson County. Many recipients never ‘took up their claim’, but sold it. John HOGG, a North Carolinian, (for example) and his brother Samuel were to be found in Bedford County. From there, John Hogg sold John K WYNNE of Wilson County his 640 acres on Yellow Creek in Dickson County. He received only one dollar per acre for it.

The Legislature of 1803 convened, and was acted upon passing a bill on October 25, 1803, creating DICKSON COUNTY. The county was named for William DICKSON, a Nashville physician and statesman who served in Congress at that time. Although DICKSON never lived in the county named for him, his cousin Molton DICKSON and other relatives played roles in its early development. The legislature of 1803 also named the first county court and set the convening date for the first session Monday, February 1804. IT was held at the home of Robert NESBITT on Barton’s Creek. But, because the roads were in such poor condition due to the weather, the meeting was officially on March 19th as a two day session.

Attending that first meeting were Montgomery BELL, Sterling BREWER, William CARROLL, Robert DRAKE(appointed county court clerk pro tempore), Drury CHRISTIAN(temporary sheriff), David DICKSON (announced his candidacy for office of County Court Clerk and was elected), Robert WEAKLEY (was named Sheriff), James Walker (was elected Register of Deeds),Robert DRAKE(chosen Commissioner of Revenue), John LARKINS(elected Trustee, William CALDWELL (Ranger), James FENTRESS (County Surveyor), John HALL(became Coroner). N.A.McNAIRY was the first lawyer admitted to the bar and was elected as the first County Solicitor. A jury was appointed for the first session of the court and a provision for a road to extended from the farm of William TEAS on Yellow Creek to the Montgomery County line was voted on . The court adjourned to meet again in June.

In 1804 a commission composed of Montgomery BELL, Robert DUNING, Sterling BREWER, John DAVIDSON, and George CLARK. They were to study terrain, for a central suitable location for a courthouse, prison, and stocks. They were authorized to purchase not more than 40 acres…to be laid off in town lots. These lots were to be sold for to provide the income for the construction of the courthouse, jail and stocks. If the sale of the lots did not provide the required funding, a tax would be levied to cover the difference. Charles STEWART a property acres for the new county seat. The offer was accepted by the commissioners and a survey of STEWART’s land began. The precise site of Charlotte was chosen when the commissioners stopped to rest near a spring and determined that the abundance of water and general location to be appropriate to build a town. It was named CHARLOTTE, in honor of Charlotte REEVES ROBERTSON, wife of the Father of Middle Tennessee.

Cumberland Furnace: A Frontier Industrial Village

This information is generously supplied by : George E. Jackson the Author of: “Cumberland Furnace A Frontier Village”.

Cumberland Furnace 1793-1943  — In the old deeds and records of Dickson County it shows up as Ironworks, Cumberland Iron Works or Iron Works on the Cumberland. It was the first to be built in Middle Tennessee and it has the longest history of operation.

1793 On June 21, 1793, James Robertson and William Shephard purchased 640 acres on the West Fork (now Furnace Creek) of Bartons Creek from James Campbell, a privat in the Revolutionary War. It was on this tract of land that Robertson built an iron plantation village (protected by a fort) and erected the first iron works on Tennessee’s frontier. The village is the oldest community south of the Cumberland River, between Nashville and Clarksville, and the oldest in Dickson County.
1796 Probable date the furnace went into operation; Some give the date as early as 1790 and as late as 1797; most say 1793 when the land was purchased. Robertson’s operation was an integrated ironworks consisting of the furnace and a forge which was buit near the mouth of Barton’s Creek.
1802 In the autumn of 1802, Montgomery Bell, with his first and faithful slave James Worley, left Lexington, Ky for the ironworks on the Cumberland.
1804 On June 18, 1804, Robertson sold Cumberland Furnace to Montgomery Bell for 16,000. Bell received the ore mines with Robertson retaining the other mineral rights. Sale did not include the forge.
1805 Montgomery Bell petitioned the county court to build a dam at Cumberland Furnace.
1809 On December 2, 1809, from Cumberland Furnace, Bell notified the Secretary of the Navy that he had molds of 18, 24 and 32 pound cannon balls.
1810 Between 1810 and 1820, Montgomery Bell built and improved frunace about one-half mile east of Robertson’s frunace. This site is east of the Methodist Church, located where the Jon Cannon house stands and which is now owned by the Dannenmaers.
1810 Tench Coxe’s Manufactures’ report for 1810 shows Dicksno County with two furnaces and one forge. One furnace was Cumberland Furnace; the other was Tennessee Furnace near the mouth of Barton’s Creek built by Richard C. Napier. The forge was the one built by Robertsown wh sold it to Napier in 1805. About 1815, Napier leased the furnace and forge to Anrthony W. Van Leer and Joseph Haslep.
1812 During the War of 1812, Bell furnished General Jackson’s Southern Army with cannon shot: from two ounce canister to 32 pounders, double-head and single-head.
1820 The federal census of 1820 showed Bell’s furnace employed seventy people and produced an annual output of three hundred tons of hollowware, fifty tons of pig metal and six tons of machinery.
1824 Bell advertised in the Nashville Whig that his two furnaces at Cumberland Furnace and the forge on Jones Creek were for sale.
1825 On April 4, 1825, Bell made an agreement with Crosby and Spicer to erect a stamping mill at Cumberland Furnace. They had the use of the water from the race but they could not interfere with the operation of the furnace, sawmill, and gristmill.
1825 On July 25, 1825 Montgomery Bell sold Cubmerland Furnace and his Jones Creek forge to anthony Van Leer and his partners, Isaac H. Lanier nad Wallace Dicksno(Dixon) for $50,000.
1833 ON August 26, 1833, Van Leer bought Lanier’s and Dickson’s interest for $70,000. Van Leer dismantled the Robertson furnace and rebuilt Bell’s second furnace, introducing steam power. Anthony Van Leer had other interest with other partners but from 1833 he kept Vumberland Furnace a family business, turning over management to his son-in-law Hugh Kirkman.
1850 The federal census of 1850 showed Van Leer’s Cumberland Furnace employed 121 persons and produced two hundred tons of castings and fourteen hundred tons of iron blooms.
1857 The Leslie report of 1859 showed Cumberland Furnace made, in 1857, 1,831 tons of foundry metal out of brown hematite ore mined within a mile or two. The roeport stated the furnace was 29 feet hig awith 9.5 feet across the bosh(the part fo a blast furnace lying between the stach and the hearth) Charlotte was the postoffice.
1860 The federal census for 1860 showed Cumberland Furnace the only one in Dickson County in operation, truning out 1,831 tons of pig iron. It had a capital investment of $100,000, employing 93 men and 7 women.
1861 Hugh Kirkman, who married Anthony Van Leer’s daughter and managed his Cumberland Furnace operation, died.
1862-1865 After the fall of Fort Donelson in February 1862, the furnace went out of blast during the Civil war. Anthony Van Leer died in 1863 and his Kirkman grandchildren, Van Leer Kirkman and Mary Florence Kirkman inherited the Cumberland Furnace. The furnace was still intact when Van Leer died.
1864 Mary Florence Kirkman shocked Nashville society by marrying Union officer Captain James Pierre Drouillard on September 21, 1864.
1865 James and Mary Florence Drouillard reopened Cumberland Furnace and operated it as a family business until 1882. Colonel Robert Stone was the manager.
1867 Cumberland Furnaace Post Office established, with James P. Drouillard as Postmaster.
1868-1870 The Drouillards built the large mansion.
1870 On May 31, 1870 Mary Florence Drouillard bought out her brother’s interest in Cumberland Furnace in exchange for $20,000. and her interest in the Nashville properties.
1878 The Drouillards built the St. James Episcopal Church.
1881 On March 21 1881 the trustees of Vanlier Academy applied for charter of incorporation.
1882 In 1882, in Drouillard Iron Wodrks, a stock company was formed with James P. Drouillard as president.
1882 James and Mary Drouillard gave the St. James Church property including the rectory lot to the Protestant Episcopal Church of Tn. for $5.00.
1889 On October 19th the Drouillard Iron Works sold to Southern Iron Company.
1891 The L&N Railroad built the Mineral Branch with a six-mile spur to Cumberland.
1892-1893 The Southern Iron Company dismantled the charcoal furnace and built a modern coke furnace between the site of the old Robertson furnace and the one errected by Montgomery Bell.
1896 The Buffalo Iron company (controlled by the Warner family) took over the operations of Cumberland furnace.
1899 The Warner Iron Company with Joesph warner as president, became the new owners of Cumberland Furnace.
1917 The Warner Iron Company conveyed property to Joseph Warner.
1928 The L&N Railroad ends passenger service to Cumberland Furnace.
1931 The freight service to Cumberland Furnace ended
1936 The tracks of the spur to Cumberland Furnace were removed and all railroad property located.
1938 THe Warner Iron Company close Cumberland Furnace and the property went into recievership.
1940 July 12, 1940 a decree of the chancery court for a price over $60,000. awarded Cumberland Furnace to Roger Caldwell of Nashville who represented Cumberland Iron Works. The litigation was 18 months.
1942 After being closed for four years, Cumberland Furnace was reopened under the name of Cumberland Iron Company with Roger Caldwell as president. Epps Stone was in charge of operations. On Sept 16, 1942, Cumberland Iron Works was placed in receivership
1943 By order of the court the ironworks building and property were sold to Sol Chazen, a Chattanooga scrap dealer, for $25,000.
1988 Cumberland Furnace was placed on the National Register of Historic Places as a Historic District
1993 The village of Cumberland Furnace celebrated its bicentennial.

YOUNG, Rosa (d. 1953)

Services for Mrs, Rosa JOHNSON YOUNG 81, widow of Jim Young were held Sunday afternoon at the Sylvia Baptist Church by the Rev. Roy Hardesty. Burial was in the Pleasant Hill Cemetery near Sylvia. Dickson Funeral home in charge.

Mrs. Young died early Friday morning at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Anna Wiiliams in Dickson. She was a native of the county and had resided here practically all her life, She was a member of the Baptist Church. Surviving are three daughters, Mrs. Williams, Mrs. Ada Freeman of Yellow Creek community and Mrs. Mollie Green of California; three sons, Oscar Young of Dickson, Lester young, Pontiac, Mich. and Johnson Young of Brookkfield,  Ill. and 21 grandchildren.

* My note– Rosa born 1872 in Dickson. The daughter of Eliza Johnson.

Source: DICKSON HERALD –November 5, 1953. This information was provided by a good friend of Dickson County,  Danielle Richardson Sullivan.

YOUNG, James”Jim” (d.1941)

 Aged 75, died at the home of his daugther, Mrs. Charlie Williams on Yellow Creek, last Saturday. Funeral service was conducted Rev Roy Hardesty of the Sylvia Bapist Church. Monday morning and burial was in Pleasant Hill Cemetery. Survivors are his wife, four sons and three daughters. 

* My note James born 1865 was the son of Thomas and Louisa J (Hunter) Young of Van Leer,TN.

Source:  This information was provided by a good friend of Dickson County,  Danielle Richardson Sullivan.

YOUNG, Calib Linzy (d. 1944)

 He was born in Christian County, KY. February 6,1861. Departed this life June 25,1944 making his stay 83 years, four months and 19 days. The deceased was married to Kate Wilder, 13 August 1907. He performed faith in Christ about 24 years ago with the Howell (Kentucky) Baptist Church. He transferred his membership to the Slyvia Baptist Church and later was made a deacon of the church.

Mr. Young is survived by six children, four sons-Webb Young of Clarksville, Jack of Ypailanti, Michigan, George Young of North Carolina, Robert Young of Illinois and two daugthers- Mrs. Annie Owens of Illinois and Mrs. Effie of Kentucky. 

* My note–C.L. Young is buried in PLeasant Hill Cemetery in Sylvia. Possibly the son of Robert G. and Sallie Ann (Long) Young of Fruit Hill. Christain County,KY.

Source: This information was provided by a good friend of Dickson, Danielle Richardson Sullivan

WILSON, Frances ‘Fannie’ Louise “Mrs.” (d. 1966)

Funeral Services for Mrs. Fannie DUGGER WILSON , age 93, were held Sunday, October 9, at 3:30 p.m., in the Chapel of the Dickson Funeral Home. Conducted by Bro. Willard Brown and Bro. J.L. Alsobrooks, with burial in the Edgewood Cemetary… Mrs. Wilson died Friday, Oct. 7, 1966, at the home of her daughter Mrs. Nannie Bellar, Route 3, Dickson, Tn., having been in failing health for some time.  She was a native of Dickson Co., daughter of Lafayette ‘Fate’ and Mary Baker Dugger. Her husband Jim Wilson died 42 years ago. She was a member of the Edgewood Methodist Church. Surviving other than Mrs. Bellar, are three other daughters, Mrs. Dana Dotson, Louisville, Ky., Mrs. Myrtle Street, Route 3, Dickson, Tn., and Mrs. Bettie Wilson, McEwen, Tn. Three sons Albert and Bob Wilson, both of Dickson and Frank Wilson, Tennessee City. Also 51 grand children, 63 great grand children, and 15 great- great grandchildren.

Source:  Dickson Herald Oct. 13, 1966. This information was provided by a good friend of Dickson County,  Faye WILSON KEELE