James Washington Hunter, a resident of the Seventh District of Dickson County, Tenn., first saw the light of day March 2, 1836. He is the eldest of six children of Burrell and Hixey R. (Simms) Hunter, both born in Dickson County. Our subject received a common school education, after which he farmed with his father and worked to some extent at the carpenter’s trade. He was married, December 6, 1863, to Miss Martha Ann Pinson, who was a resident of Dickson County, and was born May 10, 1845. Their union was blessed by the birth of six childre, nthree of whom are now living: William Benjamin, Eva and Erwin B. Our subject and his wife are worthy members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and in politics Mr. Hunter favors the principles of the Democratic party. His present property consists of 100 acres of good and well cultivated land on the Harpeth and Charlotte road. He also owns a blacksmith shop on the same property. He has been engaged in different occupations and is considered a good citizen.