Mount Tamalpais Mortuary Cemetery
San Rafael, Marin County, California
Photographs of a Hillside Cemetery
This 65-acre cemetery is at the west end of Fifth Avenue. The cemetery opened in 1879. The gates are open seven days a week from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Most roads have excellent pavement for driving, but be warned, some road are very narrow. Hiking, picnicking, and other recreational uses are discourage. The grounds abound with deer, jack rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, and even a few skunks, the cemetery is hilly and in some areas, overgrown with eucalyptus trees and has in some wild areas, poison oak.
There are two newer Jewish cemeteries within the Mount Tamalpais Cemetery, Shaarei Shalom Cemetery (Gates of Peace) at the very top of the propertys big hill (1989), and the one acre Kol Shalom (Voice of Peace), used by Congregation Rodef Sholom of Tiburon. (1989).