The image1 above shows three lead covered coffins,
in situ, which were found within the foundation lines of the old Brick Chapel, St. Marys City,
Maryland2 (ca. 1683).
It is suggested (but not proven) the three interred individuals are, Philip Calvert, Chancellor of the
Colony and youngest son of the first Lord Baltimore; his first wife, Anne Wolsey Calvert; and a six month
old child, perhaps a child by Philip and his second wife, Jane Sewell. Philip Calvert died shortly after
December 22, 1682.
The use of double coffin (a wood inner coffin, lead
outer coffin) indicates wealth and the placement of the coffins within
the chapel indicates honor. The coffins were found parallel to the
north wall of the north wing of the chapel.
1. The graphic representation of the three lead covered coffins
shown at the top of this page is not a photograph. It was created in Adobe Photoshop. It was based on a
2. St. Marys City was the fourth permanent settlement
in British North America, and Marylands first capital, 1634 until 1695.
Historic St. Marys City.
Project Home Page
Page © 2002 Fred Smoot