This battalion was organized August 7, 1863, at Kingston, Roane County, for service only in Tennessee. The term of enlistment was for only six months, and it was mustered out of service in January, 1864. It was composed of only two companies:
- James Johnson, Co. “A”. Organized August 7, 1863.
- J.M. Kincaid, Co. “B”. Organized August 11, 1863. B. F. Welcker was the first captain of this company, but was elected as major of the battalion and Kincaid succeeded him as captain.
This unit history was extracted from Tennesseans in the Civil War, Vol 1. Copyrighted 1964 by the Civil War Centennial Commission of Tennessee and is published here with their permission. This history may not be republished for any reason without the written permission of the copyright owner.