“The Stevenson Guards”
Also called Hawkins’ Battalion
- Major-James M. Hawkins
- James M. Hawkins (to major); Joseph W. Fuleher, Company “A”. Organized May, 1861, at Nashville.
- James W. Felts, Company “B”. Organized May 23, 1861, at Nashville. Stationed at Camp Magazine, near Nashville, August 1 to December 31, 1861.
- R. F. Cattles, Company “C”; “The Rock City Volunteers.” Organized November 22,1861, at Nashville.
The first two companies of this battalion were sworn into the Confederate service September 18, 1861. They served as Provost Guard (Military Police) for the City of Nashville until the city was evacuated in February, 1862.
At the general reorganization of the Army at Corinth, Mississippi, in May, 1862, the three companies were consolidated into one company, which became Company “L”, 1st (Field) Tennessee Infantry (q.v.)
This unit history was extracted from Tennesseans in the Civil War, Vol 1. Copyrighted 1964 by the Civil War Centennial Commission of Tennessee and is published here with their permission. This history may not be republished for any reason without the written permission of the copyright owner.