Hardy’s Squadron

Captain Leslie T. Hardy

This was a temporary organization, formed in December, 1862, by order of Major General John P. McCown, to serve as his escort. It was composed of three companies.


  • John Q. Arnold, Co. “B” 12th (Day’s) Battalion.
  • Leslie T. Hardy, Co. “E” 12th (Day’s) Battalion.
  • John J. Partin. Organized September 20, 1862 at Knoxville, Tennessee.

In the Battle of Murfreesboro, December 31, 1862, General McCown sent his escort to tie up with Brigadier General John A. Wharton’s Cavalry Division on December 30, 1862, and the squadron operated with Wharton’s Division on the 31st, participating in a charge made by Ashby’s 2nd Regiment. Captain Hardy was commended by General Wharton for his actions on that day.

Following the battle, the Squadron went into camp at Shelbyville, with McCown’s Division. On January 10, 1863, it reported 93 men present for duty, 170 present, and 261 present and absent. On January 17, Captain Partin was reported in command, with 145 effectives, 163 present, 261 present and absent. On February 10, it reported 97 effectives, 114 present, 256 present and absent.

In June 1863, the two companies from the 12th Battalion were returned to that organization, and on June 17, Captain Partin’s Company was detailed as escort for Major General A. P. Stewart. About August 1, 18&3, Partin’s Company was assigned as Company “L” of Baxter Smith’s 8th (also called 4th) Tennessee Cavalry Regiment.

This unit history was extracted from Tennesseans in the Civil War, Vol 1. Copyrighted 1964 by the Civil War Centennial Commission of Tennessee and is published here with their permission. This history may not be republished for any reason without the written permission of the copyright owner.

Comments are closed.