“The Oak Grove Rangers”
This company was organized at Oak Grove, Kentucky, of men from Montgomery County, April 9, 1861. It was accepted into service of the Tennessee Provisional Army June 25, 1861, and mustered into Confederate Service at Camp Trousdale, Sumner County, on August 25, 1861. It was later divided into two companies, which became “A” and “B”, 1st (Helm’s) Kentucky Cavalry Regiment. It was mustered out and disbanded on the expiration of its term of enlistment on June 25, 1862. Some of the men re-enlisted in other organizations.
This unit history was extracted from Tennesseans in the Civil War, Vol 1. Copyrighted 1964 by the Civil War Centennial Commission of Tennessee and is published here with their permission. This history may not be republished for any reason without the written permission of the copyright owner.