BATTALION (State Troops)
Colonel R. V. Richardson stated that this command was raised in West Tennessee in the Summer of 1862. Five or six companies had been raised and others were in process of being recruited when Lieutenant Colonel Aaron Burrow was killed in August or September, 1862. About October, 1862, five companies had been organized as Partisan Rangers, and the command was raised to a regiment on February 14, 1863, under Colonel Robert V. Richardson. It was known as the 1st, also the 12th Tennessee Partisan Ranger Regiment, and became the 12th Tennessee Cavalry Regiment.
No battalion muster rolls were found, but the names of some of the captains were reported as Reuben Burrow, John U. Green, James H. Murray, Ed Daly, and James H. Hazlewood.
This unit history was extracted from Tennesseans in the Civil War, Vol 1. Copyrighted 1964 by the Civil War Centennial Commission of Tennessee and is published here with their permission. This history may not be republished for any reason without the written permission of the copyright owner.