Date of organization not known, probably March, 1863; in Lieutenant General Wade Hampton’s Cavalry Corps April 9, 1865.
This squadron, composed of three companies, was recruited by Colonel R. D. Allison, formerly colonel of the 24th Tennessee Infantry Regiment, at Alexandria, DeKalb County, Tennessee.
- John H. Allison, Co. “A”. Enrolled during October and November 1862.
- J. S. Reece, Co. “B”. Enrolled during October and November 1862.
- Robert V. Wright, Co. “C”. Enrolled during February and March 1863.
- John H. Allison’s service record shows he was promoted to captain August 17, 1863.
The first record found of any of the companies was dated November 29, 1862, at which time it was ordered: “Captain Reece’s Company of Cavalry, now at McMinnville, will report for duty to Brigadier General Wheeler, at La Vergne, without delay.”
On July 30, 1863, General Bragg sent the following advice to Major General Wheeler: “The General commanding directs me to inform you that Breckenridge’s Regiment of Cavalry and Allison’s Squadron are encamped at Cherokee Springs, and are doing some harm and no good.” On August 31, the squadron was reported in Forrest’s Brigade, of Brigadier General Frank C. Armstrong’s Division, commanded by Colonel George G. Dibrell. As part of the same brigade, it took part in the Battle of Chickamauga on September 19-20. At this time Shaw’s Battalion, Hamilton’s Battalion, and Allison’s Squadron were all reported under the command of Major Joseph Shaw, although Hamilton’s Battalion and Shaw’s Battalion were actually the same organization.
On October 31, 1863, it was reported in Major General Joseph Wheeler’s Cavalry Corps, Brigadier General John H. Kelly’s Division, in a brigade commanded by Colonel J. Warren Grigsby. A Federal report placed it on picket duty at Harrison Landing on November 18, 1863. Company reports for the early part of 1864 show that the battalion was at Tunnel Hill, Georgia, picketing and scouting, until February 12, when it moved to Oxford, Alabama, to recruit. It returned to Tunnel Hill April 15, 1864. Colonel Grigsby’s Brigade was a Kentucky brigade, with Allison’s Squadron as the only Tennessee unit in it during the first few months of 1864. A report dated April 30, 1864 showed Hamilton’s Battalion, under Major Shaw, had been added to the brigade, and these two Tennessee units continued to serve together. Company reports for May and June show the battalion engaged at Dug Gap, Armucha Bridge, and Noonday Creek, and stationed near Marietta, Georgia on June 30, 1864.
On this date Brigadier General John S. Williams was in command of the brigade, which had been transferred to Brigadier General W. Y. C. Humes’ Division. It remained in this division until August 1, 1864, when it was back in Kelly’s Division, with which it participated in Wheeler’s Raid into Tennessee. During this time the squadron had been commanded by Captain John H. Allison, but at this time Hamilton’s Battalion and Allison’s Squadron were consolidated into a field unit under Major Joseph Shaw, although separate muster rolls were maintained.
The last company reports from the squadron were dated December 31, 1864 at Robertsville, South Carolina. In the reorganization of General Joseph E. Johnston’s Army on April 9, 1865, the squadron was reported in Lieutenant General Wade Hampton’s Cavalry Corps, and was surrendered and paroled as part of this Corps.
This unit history was extracted from Tennesseans in the Civil War, Vol 1. Copyrighted 1964 by the Civil War Centennial Commission of Tennessee and is published here with their permission. This history may not be republished for any reason without the written permission of the copyright owner.