Organized in Madison County for local defense March 18, 1862. Its designation was on the basis of the old militia organization which had been inaugurated shortly after Tennessee achieved statehood and discontinued in 1859-60. Its colonel was Thomas N. Buchanan.
CAPTAINS – J. L. Williamson, Third District T. D. Cooper, Fourth District F. B. Snipes, Fifth District The districts apparently correspond to the civil districts within Madison County. No muster rolls or other personnel records of this unit are available, beyond the names of a few men.
This unit history was extracted from Tennesseans in the Civil War, Vol 1. Copyrighted 1964 by the Civil War Centennial Commission of Tennessee and is published here with their permission. This history may not be republished for any reason without the written permission of the copyright owner.