101st U. S. Colored Infantry Regiment

Organized in Tennessee, 1864.

Colonel R. D. Mussey, Commissioner for Organization of Colored Troops, in a report dated at Nashville, October 10, 1864, stated that in February, 1864, Adjutant General Lorenzo Thomas authorized the formation of an invalid, or laboring regiment, to be composed of men unfit for field duty, but fit for ordinary garrison duty, either enlisted as such, or transferred from other regiments.

On September 25, 1864, Brigadier General John F. Miller, Commanding Post of Nashville, listed the 101st, organizing, with about 300 men, as one of the organizations at Nashville not attached to the garrison troops.

On October 10, 1864, Captain Ben S. Nicklin, 13th Indiana Battery, Commanding at Gallatin, said he sent Lieutenant Gable, with 15 men from the 101st, to the South Tunnel, to guard the tunnel against guerrilla attacks.

Colonel Mussey’s report went on to say that on October 10, the regiment had about 600 men, and had done fatigue duty, and some of the so-to-speak business duties of soldiers; and had furnished guards for the contraband camps at Nashville and Clarksville. He continued: “I have endeavored to select as officers for the 101st, from whom chiefly came the superintendents for the contraband camps, men who have had previous experience in their old regiments as quartermaster or commissary sergeants, as possessing a better knowledge of business than other applicants.”

On December 31, 1864, Company “F”, Lieutenant Stephen H. Eno, was reported in the forces under Colonel James Gilfillan, on the Louisville and Nashville Railroad.

On January 8, 1865, Lieutenant John E. Hull, Company “E”, commanding a detachment guarding the water tanks at Scottsboro, Alabama, reported he was attacked by Confederate forces under Brigadier General H. B. Lyon, and after defending the depot for some time, was driven out by artillery fire, and marched his men to Larkinsville, Alabama, where he reported to Brigadier General Charles Cruft. He reported six men wounded.

On March 19, 1865, the “Rebel Colonel” Mead, in an attack on the garrison at Stevenson’s Gap, Alabama, commanded by Lieutenant Belcher, was reported to have captured nine men from the 101st.

On July 1, 1865, an order was issued relieving the 101st from further duty at Clarksville, and ordering it to report for duty at Nashville, to Brigadier General C. B. Fisk, Assistant Commissioner Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, etc. for Tennessee and Kentucky.

This was the last mention of the regiment found in the Official Records. Dyer’s Compendium states it was mustered out of service January 21, 1866.

Comments are closed.