KNOXVILLE, LAFOLLETTE, JELLICO RAILROAD COMPLETED APRIL 3, 1905; JELLICO-KNOXVILLE LINE BUILT IN 1893
By Dallas Bogan
Reprinted with Permission from Dallas Bogan. This article was published in the LaFollette Press.
in the Lafollette Press of Apr. 20, 1950, is a short history of the
Knoxville, LaFollette and Jellico Railroad. The article begins by stating
that the K.L.& J. R.R. was started on May 12, 1902 and was completed
on April 3, 1905, when the first through trains from Cincinnati to Atlanta,
Ga. began operating. The track was constructed by the Louisville and
Nashville (L. & N.) which road had previously acquired trackage
from Lot, Ky. to Cincinnati and from Knoxville to Atlanta. Previously,
these through trains had operated between Louisville and Knoxville,
traveling over the Southern line from Jellico to Knoxville, thence down
Elk Valley and though Knoxville.
TRIP FROM JELLICO TO JACKSBORO
The first recorded train
trip from Jellico to Jacksboro over the Knoxville, LaFollette and Jellico
Railroad was recorded on August 4, 1904. The distance was 31 miles.
Folks along the line stood in amazement as the iron horse galloped along.
Cross Mountain is located
four and one-half miles southwest of Lake City. It forms for many miles
in Anderson and Campbell counties in the eastern portion of the main
tableland in the Cumberlands. It is the highest point in the Cumberland
Mountains west of the highlands in Harlan, Kentucky, and has an elevation
of 3,600 feet. As seen from the air it is a long heavily wooded ridge
with strung-out spurs, that forms a part of the dividing crest between
the Cumberland and Tennessee River valleys. Extending from the southeast
and northeast base runs the exceptional Walden's Ridge, which is a part
of the Cumberland Tableland.
JACKSBORO'S FIRST SCHOOLHOUSE
Jacksboro's first schoolhouse
was constructed by John Queener, cost, $399.80. On January 1, 1831,
the Trustees of Franklin Academy, namely, Abraham Hayter, John E. Wheeler,
John Phillips, Wm. and David Richardson, Joseph Peterson and Joseph
Hart erected the first frame school building, and later in 1854, Tucker
W. Page was awarded a contract to construct a brick building. This building
was known as Franklin Academy, but was not totally completed until 1860.
FIRST STEAM SHOVEL
The first steam shovel
ever in Campbell County operated in the cut just above LaFollette on
the new road. Dick Gaylor was sheriff at this time, and Lee Turner operated
the Quarter House, a saloon on Tennessee Ave. A story is told that one
day Captain Pratt, an engineer, got drunk one day and during the day,
Charlie Roos, a barber shaved him eleven times.
|Bible Records||Cemeteries||Census||Court Records||Death Certificates|
|Deeds||Family Photo Album||FAQS||Goodspeed's History||History|
|Letters||Lookups||Mailing Lists||Maps & Place Names||Marriages|
|Queries||Research Helps||Local & Family Reunions||Search Engines||Site Map|
|Campbell Tennessee and Beyond|
Campbell County TNGenWeb Host is
TNGenWeb State Coordinator information can be found
The Campbell County TNGenWeb Project makes no claims or estimates of the validity of the information submitted and reminds you that each new piece of information found should not be taken at face value, but should be researched and proved or disproved by weight of evidence.
Links to external web sites are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or approval of any of the products, services or opinions contained in any external web site
This site is a member of the free, all-volunteer
TNGenWeb is a subset of
TNGenWeb project logos are the copyrighted property
of their respective owners and used here with permission.