Reprinted with Permission from Dallas Bogan.
was born March 2, 1762, in Spotsylvania County, Virginia. His family
was living in Montgomery County, Virginia, near the middle fork of Walker's
He enlisted in the Revolutionary War in
the Virginia Militia in 1780, serving under Captains Thomas English
and Lieutenant John Hays. He also served under the commands of Colonels
Campbell and Armstrong, and Captains Joseph Cloyd, John Preston and
James Montgomery. He served between six and eight months over a 12-month
period during the years 1780-81. Included in this tenure he participated
in the battle of Reedy Fork on the Haw River. We will follow up on this
battle with a short sketch of the action.
The action commenced by a cannonade, which
lasted about twenty minutes. It was then that the enemy advanced in
three columns, the Hessians on the right, the Guards in the center,
and Lieut. Col. Webster's Brigade on the left. The whole command moved
through the old fields to attack the North Carolina Brigades, who waited
the attack until the enemy got within about one hundred and forty yards,
when part of them began a fire. A considerable part left the ground
without firing at all, some fired once, and some fired twice and none
more, except a part of a Battalion of General Eaton's Brigade. The General
and field officers did all they could to induce the men to stand their
ground, but neither the advantages of the position nor any other consideration
could induce them to stay. They left the ground and many of them threw
away their Arms. General's Stevens and Lawson, and the field Officers
of those Brigades were more successful in their exertions. The Virginia
Militia gave the enemy a warm reception and kept up a heavy fire for
a long time. But being beat back, the action became wide-ranging almost
The corps of observation under Washington
and Lee were warmly engaged and executed well. The conflict was long
and severe with the enemy only gaining their point by sheer control.
They broke the 2d Maryland Regiment and turned the left flank and got
into the rear of the Virginia Brigade. From here they appeared to be
gaining the right, which would have encircled the whole of the Continental
Troops. It was thought most advisable to order a retreat. About this
time Lieut. Col. Washington made a charge with the horses upon a part
of the Brigade of Guards. The first Regiment of Marylanders commanded
by Col. Gunby, and seconded by Lieut. Col. Howard followed the horse
with their bayonets near the whole of this party fell a sacrifice. General
Huger was the last that was engaged and gave the enemy and wisely checked
them. A retreat was in order to the Reedy Fork where they crossed at
the ford about 3 miles from the field of action. Here they halted and
drew up the troops until they collected most of their stragglers. Lost
was the artillery and two ammunition wagons the greater part of the
horses being killed before the retreat began. It was virtually impossible
to move the pieces along the great road. After collecting the stragglers
they retired to this camp 10 Miles away from Guilford.
Following his tenure in the War, William
Pauley returned to Montgomery County where he married Margaret Munsey
on April 11, 1787. This section of Montgomery County later became a
part of Wythe County.
In 1807 the Pauley family moved across
the state line and settled in Campbell County, Tennessee. Here William
purchased a 140-150 acre tract of land from James MCracken, which lay
on the waters of Indian Creek (now Big Creek) and extended to the base
of the Cumberland Mountains. This family left few records in the County,
but William Pauley did sign a petition in 1813, along with many other
Powell Valley residents, failing to have the Campbell County seat moved
closer to Claiborne County.
Pauley also witnessed several deeds of
his friends and neighbor, Andrew Hatfield. Pauley's daughter Mary wed
Davis Hatfield around 1823 and remained in the Stinking Creek area until
her death in the late 1830's.
William Pauley sold the land he and his
family had lived on for 22 years to Isaac Moyers in 1829. Afterward,
he removed to Montgomery County, Indiana. In February 1832, Pauley purchased
three 80-acre tracts of land in Washington Twp., Boone County, Indiana.
He resided on this land until his death on Nov. 22, 1838. His death,
at age 76, was the result of a fall. His wife Margaret was still living
in the vicinity in the 1850 census. Many generations of Pauleys continue
to live in the area.
Boone County officials provided a Revolutionary
War monument on September 24, 1899, in honor of William and Margaret
Pauley's gravesite. Over 2,000 relatives and onlookers attended the
William Pauley was a blacksmith by trade.
His religious affiliations were Methodist. It is thought that he may
have had as many as 13 children, however, only 10 were named as being
alive during his probate hearings following his death. They were:
Nancy, married to John McCleary;
William Jr., married to Rebecca; Elijah; Joseph, married to Sarah
Blaine; Wesley, married to Mary Smith; Naomie, married to Sawyer
Smith; Elizabeth, married to James Turner; John, married to Hannah
Emily Sweeney; Margaret, married to James Smith; Mary, married
to Davis Hatfield.
Mike Curtis of North Carolina submitted
most of the preceding information.