Benton County, Tennessee Genealogy
Religion in Benton County
History of Post Oak
Click Pictures to See Full Size
Reliable evidence is
that Post Oak Grove now post Oak was established before
1835 making it one of the oldest yet active Methodist
Congregations in this area. The first years are very
sketchy. The first known building was a log structure
with benches hewed from logs and was present in 1835 but
its believed to be older but there is little evidence to
support this. The log building stood until the late
1800's about 1883. It was removed and a new frame
structure was erected. At the time the name was changed
from Post Oak Grove to Posts Oak. This building stood
until it was destroyed by fire in 1912. The church was
holding a revival meeting and one night after everyone
had gone the fire began. It was believed the fire began
from a kerosene lamp. It was believed the wick burned
down into the reservoir and caught afire. The lamp was a
stand attached to the wall around the building. The
members of the church began to construct another building
donating their labor and timber. This building stood
until 1937. A violent storm damaged the structure blowing
part of it from its foundation. At the time temporary
repairs were made and plans to replace the weaken
structure were were made. The church members donated time
and materials. The actual construction began in late 1937
as soon as the farmers could leave their fields. It was
completed in 1938. Later the bathrooms and Sunday school
rooms were added and then the awning was added. This is
the building that is standing today.
The first service in the new church
was held on January 7, 1938. The first funeral was the
child of Hulie and Ozella Hudson on January 27. The first
Sunday School service was January 9, 1938. The church
Sunday School Superintendent was John W. Bray. The Church
secretary was J. T. Brooks and the first organist was
Edna Brooks Davidson. The song leaders were O.L. Markham
and Leon Galbreath. The song was "What A Friend We
Have in Jesus" led by O. Markham. The first revival
in the new church began the fourth Sunday in July 1938.
Reverend Dean Smith was the Evangelist. On the fifth
Sunday in October 1938, the church was dedicated.
Reverend Coolen preached at the dedication service. The
church signed up in the REA program to get electricity
and on March 7, 1948, the power was turned on for the
first time in the community and at the church.
Up until 1912, the church did not have
a deed to the property, but on August 21, 1912, a deed
was given to the church trustees and posted in deed book
#6 page 313 notebook 4 page 270 at the county seat of
Benton County, Camden, Tennessee. This was a gift from W.
H. and Eliza Ann Wiseman and T. H. and Caroline Hudson to
the Church Trustees and their successors. The Trustees
that accepted for the Church were H. F. Stigall, J. D.
Brooks, W. T. Bomar, W. H. Wiseman, T. H. Hudson, W. P.
Hudson and J. W. Weatherly. Some additional land was
donated later by Hubert and Lois Hudson and Zollie an
Zoetta Wiseman and Leo Weatherly. There are two
cemeteries on the property and are well kept. A Trust
Fund has been established to insure their up keep should
the church cease to exist. This fund was donated by
several people and the church is grateful.
In the early days a circuit rider
served the church. Because of this, services might be
held in the middle eof the week depending on when the
rider came through that area. For a time the church was
not in a district until 1840 and it was known as the
Camden Mission until 1852. From 1853 to 1864 it was in
the Paris District and 1864 to 1900 it was in the
Trezevant District and 1901 to 1991 in the Lexington
District. In 1991 we became part of the Paris District.
MINISTERS OF THE POST
1840 TO PRESENT
1840 - Isaac N. Manley
1841 - Robert S. Collins
1842 - Edmund J. Williams
1843 James Rhodes - Edmund J. Williams, Sup.
1844 - Bryant Medlin
1846 - Daniel Tabb
1846 - 1848 Jessie P. Lowery
1848 - Matthew F. Mitchell
1849 - Matthew F. Mitchell
1850 - William price - Isaac N. Manley, Sup.
1851 - Isaac N. Manley - E. F. Hamilton, Sup.
1852 - J. B. McCutcheon - W. T. Myers
1853 - Levi B. Lee - John P. Webb - Isaac N. Manley, Sup.
1854 - Simpson Weaver
1855 - Lucian B. King
1856 - 1857 - Robert W. Ayers
1858 - F. A. Wilderson
1859 - J. W. Mathis
1860 - W. B. Ramsey
1861 - 1862 H. B. Covington - E. L. Fisher, Sup.
1863 - One to be supplied
1864 - J. F. Armstrong
1865 - John R. Peeples
1866 - Elias M. Baker
1867 - W. R. Gardner
1868 - W. T. C. Young
1869 - To be supplied
1870 - To be supplied by Thomas E. Hall
1871 - T. B. McGill - D. M. K. Collins, Sup.
1872 - To be supplied by T. D. Clement - D.M.K. Collins,
1873 - T. R. Luter
1874 - 1875 R. R. Nelson - D. M. K. Collins, Sup.
1876 - F. B. Davis - D. M. K. Collins, Sup.
1877 - R. R. Nelson - D. M. K. Collins, Sup.
1878 - J. D. Sullivan - D. M. K. Collins, Sup.
1879 - H. B. Covington - D. M. K. Collins, Sup.
1880 - D. L. Hines - D. M. K. Collins, Sup.
1881 - J. H. Johnson - D. M. K. Collins, Sup.
1882 - W. H. Mannor
1883 - W. C Waters
1884 - A. S. Anderson
1885 - F. B. Davis - D. M. K. Collins, Sup.
1886 - 1887 C. A. Coleman - D. M. K. Collins, Sup.
1888 - 1889 J. G. Jones - D. M. K. Collins, Sup.
1890 - J. H. Cason
1891 - 1893 J. L. Weaver
1894 - 1897 T. F. Carson
1898 - N. R. Waters
1899 - J. R. Harrison to be supplied
1900 - Believed to be Louis Markham as a speaker
1901 - 1903 Yates Moore
1904 - 1909 E. W. Mathis
1910 - B. G. Lamb
1911 - 1912 Arcc Robinson
1913 - H. L. McCamey
1914 - O. C. Wrather
1915 - W. T. Stubblefield
1916 - 1919 O. H. Lafferty
1920 - C. A Coleman 1921 - 1922 T. N. Wilkes
1923 - 1924 J. T. Banks
1925 - 1926 T. E. Calhoun
1927 - 1928 W. S. Lockman
1929 - 1932 W. King Dickerson
1933 - 1934 M. H. Alexander
1935 - 1937 O. J. Smith
1938 - 1941 A. G. Childress
1941 - 1943 W. H. Pearigen
1944 - 1945 W. M. Vaughn
1946 - 1948 Walter L. Hill
1949 - 1951 Frank L. Daniel
1952 - 1954 D. A. Bishop
1955 - 1956 R. Gene Baker
1957 - Paul Blankenship
1958 - 1959 John C. Hartman
1960 - 1962 Jacob Smith
1963 - Jacob Smith, W. W. Phillips, Loyd Hymes
1964 - Francis Lynn
1965 - 1972 Harry Goldsmith
1973 - 1978 Eulas Greer
1979 - Maynard Hammond
1980 - 1981 Terry Pence
1981 - 1985 Tom Cary
1985 - 1990 Charles Ferris
1990 - 1995 Richard Clark
1995 - 1998 David Shettles
1998 - Present Steve Elder
Information and pictures submitted
Graphics are courtesy of Cherished