Benton County, Tennessee Genealogy

Religion in Benton County



The Church was Primitive Baptist in faith and was organized in December of 1821, taking its name from Cypress Creek which flowed nearby. The first building was erected on land belonging to William and Penelope Thompson, two of the charter members. Sometime after the Civil War, the Church was relocated farther up Cypress Creek, moving some of the original logs. At various times the church met in some of the home of members. One faction broke away and moved to a small frame building on the front of the present day Eastview Cemetery and was called El Bethel. The cypress Baptist Church was disbanded sometime after 1900.

Information Submitted by E. J. Sims


Click Pictures to View Full Size

mtzion1.jpg   mtzion.jpg Front and Back Views

Submitted by JPieke

Mount Zion Church was the oldest church structure in Benton County, TN. It was located on a ridge above Sulphur Creek about five and one half miles southeast of Big Sandy, TN. On 2 October 1973 the Mt. Zion Church was placed upon the National Register of historic places, of the National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.

This hewn log house about 18' x 24' was built to house the congregation organized by Elder B.S. Browning for the Baptist. Unfortunately vandals set fire to the building in the early 1990's and destroyed the entire building.

Information Submitted by E. J. Sims

Chalk Level Baptist


The first church at Chalk Level was a Primitive Baptist. The founding date is uncertain but it is believed to be between 1828 and 1832. It was located approximately 1/4 mile West of the present church near the old Chalk Level Cemetery, which is known as Brown Graveyard.

In 1849 the church voted to go Missionary. Obediah Hardin was the first past or of the Missionary Baptist Church.

Information and Pictures from Book Families and Histories Benton County Tennessee
Courtesy of Benton County Genealogical Society

Return to Religion in Benton County Page

Return to Benton County Genealogy Page

Graphics are courtesy of Cherished Memories