Benton County Tennessee
A. J. Farmer, attorney at law of Camden, was born February 22, 1846, in Benton County, Tenn., son of Ichabod and Martha (Davidson) Farmer. The father was a native of Benton County, Tenn., born in 1819, and his father, George W. Farmer, was a native of Orange County, North Carolina, and at a very early date immigrated to Tennessee, locating in Humpbreys County. In 1819 he came to Benton County and located in the Seventh District, on the Tennessee River. Ichabod was living in Benton County at the time of his marriage, and after that event he settled in the Seventh District, but afterward moved to the Fifth District, where he passed the remainder of his days. He was a successful farmer, owning upward of 1,900 acres. He died in 1885. He represented Benton and Humphreys Counties in the lower branch of the General Assembly of Tennessee one term. The mother of our subject was born in Dickson County, Tenn., and died at her home in Benton County in August, 1864. They had four children, only two of whom are living at the present time: Keziah (Mrs. L. E. Davis) and our subject. He was reared at home, and received his early education in the schools of his native county. During the great civil war he enlisted in the Confederate Army in July, 1864, in Company A, Fifty-fifth Regiment Tennessee Infantry. He fought at Peach Tree, Ga., and Atlanta, and in the last named battle was unwell, and at the surrender was captured and taken to the hospital. He was soon sent to Nashville, and from there home. In 1867 he began teaching, and taught one term. December 25, of the same year, he married Tennessee Hall, a native of Benton County, Tenn., This marriage resulted in the birth of eight children: William I., Florence E., Thomas N., Vernon A., Mattie, Eunice, Myrtle and Carrie. In 1874 Mr. Farmer became a resident of Camden and began the practice of law, at which he has since continued. For the past three years Mr. Farmer and S. W. Hawkins, of Huntingdon, have been law partners. Our subject was reared on a farm, and most of his life work has been spent in looking after the interest of the same. He now owns 600 acres, and is one of the solid business men of Camden. He is conservative in politics, but is in principle a Democrat, voting for principle and not for party. He cast his first vote for Horace Greeley in 1872. He and wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
Green B. Greer, clerk and master of the Benton County Chancery Court, and a native of the county, was born January 21, 1840, son of Hezekiah and Mary (Wyatt) Greer, natives of Tennessee. Our subject's grandfather, James Greer, came to Benton County, Tenn., with his family about 1816 or 1818, and here Hezekiah grew to manhood, married and reared a family of seven children, two of whom are dead. He followed farming successfully in his day, principally in Benton County, although he lived for a short time in Henry and Carroll Counties. He died in March, 1862, in his fifty-seventh year. Green B. Greer was reared and educated in this county, spending his early days on the farm. During the great civil war he enlisted in October, 1861, in Company A, Fifty-fifth Confederate Tennessee Infantry, serving first as a non-commissioned officer, and after the reorganization was elected first lieutenant of his company. He served in this capacity until wounded in the left leg at Atlanta, and was not again able to enter the service. During service he was captured at Island No.10, and held a prisoner of war five months in Northern prisons. After the war he followed teaching and farming in the Sixth District (his home) until January, 1871, when he accepted the position of clerk and master of the chancery court under Chancellor Nixon. He has served long and faithfully in this most important office, which he holds at the present time. Mr. Greer has been a life-long Democrat in politics, and as such began his public career in August, 1870, by making the race for county court clerk, but was defeated by a small majority, along with eight other aspirants to the office. September 12, 1866, he married Elizabeth McGill, who died January 15, 1873, leaving three children, all now living: Jesse H., Robert S. and Lena. By his second marriage, with Ada Haley in 1876, he has three living children: Alma, Clarice and Nixon. Mrs. Greer died September 2, 1884, and in 1885 Mr. Greer married his present wife, Mary S. Haley. He is a Mason, a member of the Agricultural Wheel of this State, and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. He is one of Benton County's most enterprising men and an efficient and trustworthy public official.
Dr. Adam M. Hawley, of Big Sandy, Tenn., was born in Sullivan County, of that State, December 10, 1847, and is a son of William and Sarah (Holt) Hawley, both natives of East Tennessee. It was in this part of Tennessee, that our subject grew to manhood, received an ordinary English education and at the age of sixteen began the study of medicine with a view to make it a profession, but soon relinquished it to enter the Confederate Army. He served from October, 1863, to April, 1865, with Company F, Fifty-ninth Regiment Tennessee Mounted Infantry. At the close of the war he resumed his medical studies, and at the same time farmed some in Washington County, Va. His medical preceptor in Virginia was Dr. W. F. Barr, and in East Tennessee was Dr. R. H. Young, both eminent practitioners. In 1867 he came to West Tennessee, and practiced medicine in Henry County with Dr. J. W. Pritchell for about nine years. He practiced sixteen months in southeast Missouri, and in 1881 came to Big Sandy where he has since resided, engaged successfully in the practice of his profession. In 1871 he married Nannie W. Melton, of Henry County, and to them was born one child, Lula C. The Doctor is a Democrat in politics, is an enterprising and reliable citizen and a medical practitioner of experience and ability.
J.M. Holladay & Bro. began the mercantile trade at Mount Carmel, Benton Co., Tenn., April 28, 1873, and have since continued as a firm at the same place. Their stock of goods, one of the largest and best carried in the county, consists of dry goods, boots and shoes, hats, caps, notions, etc., groceries, drugs, queens, glass and hardware, and the business is conducted in two buildings, one for the dry goods, etc., and the other for the groceries, etc. John M., the senior member of the firm, was. born August 22, 1840. The father, Geo. W., was a native of Smith County, and came to Carroll County when young, met and married Catharine Crider, the mother of our subjects; they spent the balance of their lives in that county. The father was justice of the peace twelve years, deputy sheriff four years, and sheriff of the county six years. John M. remained with his parents till the commencement of the war, and then enlisted in the Fifty-fifth Tennessee Confederate Infantry, at the organization of which he was elected third lieutenant, and served till captured at Island No.10. When his regiment was reorganized at Jackson, Miss., he was elected second lieutenant, which command he held till the cessation of hostilities. July 28, 1864, he lost an arm at Atlanta, Ga., but still retained his command. At the close of the war he returned to Carroll County, where he remained about two years, then came to Benton County, locating at his present residence in 1867. On October 13, 1869, he married Rachel R. B. Mathews, a native of Benton County, by which union two sons and two daughters have been born, one daughter being deceased. He is member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and K. of H. S. W., the junior member of the firm, was born December 25, 1842, and remained with his parents till the commencement of the war, when he enlisted in the same regiment with his brother, and served as a private throughout the war. He then returned to Carroll County and remained till 1868, then came also to Benton County, farming till the establishment of business with his brother at Mt. Carmel. December 26, 1872, he married Cordelia Wood, by which union seven children have been born, one son and four daughters still living. He is a member of the F. & A. M.
William T. Hubbs, M. D., of Camden Tenn., was born in Fulton County, Ky December 23, 1849; son of William and Charlotte (Curlin) Hubbs, both natives of Tennessee. William T. removed to Obion County, Tenn., with his parents when but an infant, and was reared to manhood in that county. He secured a fair literary education and at the age of nineteen began the study of medicine with a view to making it a profession. In 1872 he graduated from the medical department of the University of Louisville, Ky., and began to practice in Obion County. In 1874 he removed to Johnsonville, Tenn., and in 1877 went to Texas, where he remained till 1878. Th July of that year he came to Camden where he has since resided, engaged successfully in the practice of his profession He conducted a drug business here for about a year during 1881-82. In October, 1885, he engaged in the dry goods and general merchandise business, in which he has continued to the present time with good success. The Doctor married his present wife in 1879; she was a Miss Emma Hill of Benton County. He lost one wife by death and has no issue by either marriage. He is an unswerving Democrat in politics, a reliable business man and a medical practitioner of experience and ability.
J. H. Hudson, farmer of the Eighth District, was born in 1834 in Windham County, Vt., a son of Holman and Clara (Oaks) Hudson. The mother was of Scotch descent and born in Vermont, where she died in 1840. The father again married. He was of English origin and passed the most of his life in Vermont where he died in 1864 at about the age of sixty years. J. H. Hudson was but six years old at the time of his mother's death and at an early age was cast upon the world to care for himself. In 1862 he enlisted in the United States Army in Company E, Sixth Iowa Cavalry. His principal duty was on the frontier of the West battling with the Indians for about three years. In December, 1865, Mr. Hudson came to Benton County, West Tenn., and April 11,1868, he married Miss Elizabeth Wygul, daughter of Elbert Wygul. Mrs. Hudson is a native of Benton County, born in 1838. They are the parents of three children, named Carlos N., Wm. E. and Oaks J. Mr. Hudson is one of the enterprising and successful farmers of Benton County, and now owns 570 acres of good land, well improved. In 1886 he erected a good frame dwelling house and barn and has added other improvements to his property. He is a Democrat in politics, a member of the Masonic fraternity, Lodge No.290, of Big Sandy, and he and wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
If you have suggestions and/ or additions for these pages, please feel free to write County Host
Return to Benton County Genealogy page
Server space for the TNGenWeb Project is provided through the generosity of US Internet.
The TNGenWeb Project makes no claims or estimates of the validity of the information submitted and reminds you that each new piece of information must be researched and proved, or disproved by the weight of evidence.
You are welcome to copy information found on the Benton County TNGenWeb site for personal use, and share information with other researchers or genealogical organizations, but this information may not be sold or used in a commercial project without expressed permission. All material submitted by individuals for inclusion in this site remains their property.
Graphics are either courtesy of Corel clipart or personally designed
Copyright 1998 - 2015